Once you have learned the basics of Visual Studio Code Extension API in the Hello World sample, it's time to build some real-world extensions. While the Extension Capabilities section offers high-level overviews of what an extension can do, this section contains a list of detailed code guides and samples that explains how to use a specific VS Code API.
In each guide or sample, you can expect to find:
- Thoroughly commented source code.
- A gif or image showing the usage of the sample extension.
- Instructions for running the sample extension.
- Listing of VS Code API being used.
- Listing of Contribution Points being used.
- Real-world extensions resembling the sample.
- Explanation of API concepts.
Guides & Samples
Here are the guides on the VS Code website, including their usage of the VS Code API and Contribution Points. Don't forget to refer to the UX Guidelines to learn the user interface best practices for creating extensions.
Here is a list of additional samples from the VS Code Extensions samples repo.
Language Extension Samples
These samples are Language Extensions samples: